Stoneburner Gaming Minecraft Chat Logs
Stoneburner Gaming Minecraft Dynamic Map

!!READ ME!! State of the Tekkit Server [14/12/2012]
Views 653
Replies 12
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Quote: This Topic is intended to contain the most up-to-date information regarding the LoM/AMS Tekkit server.
It is intended to be a 1-stop repository for any and all information you might need to know as a player.
It will be updated once a month (or thereabouts) unless nothing has changed.

New players should read it all, regulars probably need only read those titles with an Asterisk (That's this 'star' symbol: * ) designation, as those are the areas that have been changed since last update.

[Spoiler=*General Information:]
This information pertains to the server in general, rather than any specific aspect of gameplay.

*IP: 'smp.lawsofminecraft.com:1313' OR 'lawsofminecraft.com:1313' OR 'lawsofcomputers.com:1313' (This goes into the "IP Address" section of the Multiplayer screen In-Game||'lawsofcomputers.com' may no-longer work at some stage as it was being phased out last I heard.)

*Whitelist: The server currently uses these forums as a whitelist.
You must make a post in the Whitelist section of the AMS Tekkit Subforum requesting to be added. An Admin will then add you to the whitelist and reply to the post letting you know when they have done so.
Please be patient, this process is not instant.
NB: You must be Advanced or higher on the Main server for you application to be considered. Special cases are excepted.

*AFK: Going afk is allowed on the server, you will automatically be set to this after 10 minutes of doing nothing. Once you are marked as afk, you have 10 minutes to return before the server will automatically kick you. This is intended to prevent idling on the server and wasting server resources when you aren't using them.

*Help: Getting help is often a daunting task for new players, especially with Tekkit. That's where the '/motd' command comes in handy. It will display the Message Of The Day for you, which will always contain a link to the Tekkit Wiki which you may visit by clicking it directly in-game.
You may also feel free to ask for help/advice from people who are online at the time... I can't guarantee they won't troll you, but that's a risk you'll need to take if you want a more human explanation of something.
The '/helpop' command will also work in the instance of any Mods/Admins being online, but their rank is no guarantee that they will know any more than you about your question.

*Rules: The basic rules of the server, to be followed at all times, regardless of the circumstances, unless specifically overridden by an Admin.

*SERVER RULES:
  1. No Griefing.
  2. No Hacks of any kind (EG: Speed, Flying, X-Ray, etc.)
  3. No Stealing.
  4. No Spamming.
  5. Be Respectful.
  6. Be Ethical.
  7. Use Common Sense.
  8. Don't nag for a rank.
  9. Don't ask the Administrators to Spawn you items.
  10. Don't ask the Administrators to Enchant your items.
  11. Don't ask for time changes.
  12. Don't attack anyone unless they have agreed to a battle (Out loud in unambiguous terms).
  13. Unless you are a Donator who has donated more than the minimum amount, do not complain about lag.
  14. Even if you are a Donator, don't overdo the complaining.
  15. If you are banned a second time, you acknowledge the fact that your items are subject to being "raided".
  16. There will be no compensation if your items are raided, you got yourself banned in the first place.
  17. If a staff member tells you to stop doing something and you continue to ignore them, you may be deranked and/ or banned.
  18. Public mob traps are allowed in the overworld. Nether mob traps must be public.
  19. Do not advertise other servers.
  20. Do not circumvent fences or walls.
*Further Explanations/ Interpretations:

1. Be Respectful (to both Admins and your fellow players). For example/such as: no swearing, griefing or anything else that may hamper the ability of others to have fun.
  2. Be Ethical (conform to the ethics of society). For example/such as: no racism, no sexism, no -ism's or discrimination of any kind.
  3. Use Common Sense (essentially act maturely). For example/such as: (If you don't know what common sense is/ don't know how to use it, examples won't help you. Ask your parents.)
  4. No Hacking (defined as any modification to the game that gives you an unfair advantage over other players). For example/such as: The Smart Moving mod gives you gameplay abilities others do not have, and as such is not allowed. However, texture packs only change the way the game looks, and are among the few allowed Modifications. Optifine is another good example of a non-cheaty Mod.
  5. PvP is only allowed when BOTH parties agree to each SINGLE BATTLE... Typically there are also rules and conditions laid out. Attacking someone out of the blue with the intent to kill them is considered to be breaking the rules.
  6. A mob trap is considered to be a mechanism built around a naturally occurring spawner, which may damage, but not kill the mobs. Large dark rooms and automated killing/ item harvesting are a no-no.
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=*Claims and Anti-Grief:]
This section covers information regarding the plugins protecting against grief.

*GriefPrevention(Aka, Claims): GriefPrevention is the plugin which adds the claims mechanic. Claims are capable of handling 99% of the average player's anti-griefing needs. For more information, check this section of the official Bukkit page here.
NB: The Spam filter is off by popular demand. On your heads be it!

*CoreProtect: CoreProtect is the plugin which is taking the place of HawkEye, and BigBrother before it. It is capable of doing everything that HawkEye did, and some that it couldn't. It requires no SQL database, has built-in Tekkit compatability as one of it's official features, and is simple to use. More info here.

*TekkitRestrict: This plugin is intended to prevent and protect against a variety of Tekkit specific issues. This includes duplication and hacking. Check it out here.
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=*Ranks:]
This is a description of the Rights and Responsibilities of the Various ranks available on the server. As well as a general idea on how to progress through them. This is now separate to Main.
Please note that the "[<letter>]" part is what is shown in-game, and that the . in "[B.]" and "[S.]" does not appear in-game, and is simply there to stop the text becoming Bolded and Struck-through respectively.

*Responsibilities: Each rank has certain responsibilities attached, any rank with an asterisk inherits the responsibilities of the previous rank, Here's a list showing the responsibilities of each rank:
  • [G] Guest: Wait for an Admin to rank you to Builder.
  • [B.] Builder: Behave(according to the rules) and Integrate with the community.
  • [A] Advanced: *, give advice and assistance where necessary to those of lower rank so they can benefit from your experience.
  • [E] Engineer: *, Aid the other players with your advanced level of Tekkit related expertise.
  • [#] Mod: Strive to maintain the same standard of civilisation we enjoy IRL on the server, Mediate disputes and interceed where necessary, Do not rise to insult or criticism but maintain a calm demeanour, kick those who need to be kicked and only use ban as a last resort, keep an eye on who might be cheating/ disobeying rules.
  • [@] Admin: *, Fix game balance issues, Fix major grief, Administrate the technical aspect of the server. No fun for you guys I'm afraid =(
*Progression/Promotion: Promotion is always at the discretion of the Admins, however, There are general prerequisites for each rank that guide the Admins in their choices. Here is a list of those, by rank:
  • [G] Guest: To be promoted to Guest, you need only join the server, you will be automatically ranked to this.
  • [B.] Builder: Read and agree to abide by the rules, then let an Admin know and you will be promoted to Builder(You may be tested on your knowledge of the rules prior to promotion).
  • [A] Advanced: To attain the rank of Advanced, a Builder must show they are sufficiently Advanced in their ability to play the game.
  • [E] Engineer: To attain the rank of Engineer, the Admins must feel as though you have demonstrated that you have copious knowledge of Tekkit and it's working, and that you are capable of using that knowledge in creating a build of a high level of complexity.
  • [#] Mod: To attain the rank of Mod, the Admins must feel as though you would be a good and capable Moderator.
  • [@] Admin: To attain the rank of Admin, the Admins must feel as though you would be a good and capable Administrator.
*Available Commands: These are not available at this time.
[/Spoiler]
[Spoiler=
*Economy:]
Currently, the server Economy is entirely player-based. The value system used is mostly EMC. Though the trade system itself is barter based.

Still... Here are the Essentials Economy commands:
Money: The command to view your current wealth is '/money'. Each player begins with $100.

Payment: Paying other players is done with the '/pay' command. The usage is '/pay <player to pay to> <amount to pay>' swapping out the descriptions for actual values of course.

Uses: You can use your money in conjunction with the ChestShop Plugin to buy and sell to and from other players. [Edit: Players can also use the /sell command to sell unwanted items. Usage: '/sell <name of item to sell OR id of item to sell OR "hand"(sells what is currently being held) OR "inventory" (sells from the inventory) OR "blocks" (sells blocks)> [amount]'. You can check the worth of an item with /worth <itemname> and an item amount afterwards. (It will say "stack of <item> worth <whatever it's worth is>" but it really means single items in most cases).

Interest: There is currently no interest given to players. Money is gained by selling items to the server, or other players.
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=Teleportation:]
Currently, players are able to teleport (with permission) to other players, as well as to spawn and their home. Teleportation currently has a cooldown of seconds before you can do it again. The cooldown is meant to reduce lag by reducing the frequency with which the server needs to send data to players who have teleported somewhere they don't already have loaded.

I believe this works the same as Main, but being an Admin, I can't tell...

Player Teleportation:
Players can teleport to other players using the command '/tpa <player's username they wish to teleport to>'. It requires the player being the destination to accept the request. The teleportation itself will occur if the player who issued the command does not move for 3 seconds after the teleport is accepted. Players can also request another player to teleport to them. This is done with the command '/tpahere <player they wish to teleport to them>'. This also requires the acceptance of the targeted player. Again, it will occur after 3 seconds without movement after the request has been accepted.

Spawn Teleportation: Players can teleport to the server's Spawn point using the command '/spawn'.

Home Teleportation: Players can teleport to their bed(right click it to set your home there, regardless of time) with the command '/home bed'. They may also be able to set a home via command and teleport to that with '/home home'. Players are possibly only allowed one home, possibly two. Players are able to set their homes to their current location via the '/sethome' command. /sethome is instant.
[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=Important to Note: ]
There are a few misc, things to note about the Tekkit server, that are specific to LoM:
  • RedMatter Armour, and by extension Gem Armour, are disabled. This is due to an issue which causes an invalid test against the armour which crashes the server.
  • NuclearControl has been removed due to another bug which again caused server crashes.
  • All chunk-loading mechanics including blocks and minecarts are disabled. This is to prevent lag.
[/Spoiler]
[Spoiler=Author's Notes:]
These are here merely to make allowances and admissions for/ of personal opinion and the prescence of bias in the post.

Disclaimer: This is by no means an OFFICIAL post, I have not gained any of this information via Administrative access... All information can be obtained by anyone willing to look. All opinions depicted within this post are solely the views of myself (roberestarkk) and do not necessarly represent the opinions of any others including the Administrative staff, the Owner or any other player. In addition, any suppositions or assumptions made are solely the product of my PERSONAL observations are not to be construed in any way as anything other than conjecture.

Frank appraisal of The Author's Failings: This Topic was intended to be helpful and informative. Due to my highly agitated and tired state however, I may have let my self control slip a little and allow personal bias to cloud the information presented within.

For the Attention of the Other Admins: I ask that any of you who are capable of doing so, review and edit my work in any way they see fit for the benefit of the Community at large, and to assist where possible with the maintaining of the post and the information it imparts.

In Parting: I hope you found my post informative and helpful, stay tuned for updates as more information becomes available and be sure to check back every update for the latest news!
P.S. Sorry about the colours =P
[/Spoiler]

[Image: Robereid_zps75b54298.png]
The 'don't circumvent fences or walls' is an unnecessary rule that is too subjective and difficult to police. It is also difficult to provide evidence in some cases, which requires relying on word of mouth and this introduces the possibility of error. I cite the weavy incident, where she banned several respected players with no prior history, including me, which was particularly galling because the wall I jumped over belonged to me. Am requesting it to be removed.
Also:
Rob Wrote:Frekless
Pbtfbthbpbpthbp

[Image: dreadofmondayssmall.png]
2:19:20 PM: T_Nigs Wrote:use common sense
(14-08-2012, 09:11 PM)Dreadofmondays Wrote:  The 'don't circumvent fences or walls' is an unnecessary rule that is too subjective and difficult to police. It is also difficult to provide evidence in some cases, which requires relying on word of mouth and this introduces the possibility of error. I cite the weavy incident, where she banned several respected players with no prior history, including me, which was particularly galling because the wall I jumped over belonged to me. Am requesting it to be removed.
The 'don't circumvent fences or walls' rule IS neccessary as it seems people do not have the common sense to respect the social concept of the fence. People don't seem to abide by natural rules of not going into places that have been sectioned off. Previous cases have resulted in animals being released, items stolen, and property damage. In the case with Weavy it is unfortunate and probably resulted from over exposure to infringements. If admins learn from the mistake and keep a level head, all will be well. We have made that mistake now, learn from it and move on. The rule can also be easily policed with hawkeye logs, observing dirt pillars to get over walls, and holes in walls. Often they are not hard to spot, hence why many people have been spotted in the past.

Essentially this rule is only in the rules because it seems to fall out of the realm of most people's common sense and hence has to be policed in other ways.

Also rob the "Broad summary from Hall" In the ranks section seems to be missing the body of text?

[Image: nnvfhg.jpg]
[Image: 2rgyiye.jpg] [Image: n2gznk.jpg] [Image: 2nqsmqp.jpg]
Doesn't it fall under 'Use common sense'? The rules shouldn't have to change just because people don't have common sense. In fact, 'Use common sense' should fix this issue.

[Image: dreadofmondayssmall.png]
2:19:20 PM: T_Nigs Wrote:use common sense
(14-08-2012, 09:22 PM)Dreadofmondays Wrote:  Doesn't it fall under 'Use common sense'? The rules shouldn't have to change just because people don't have common sense. In fact, 'Use common sense' should fix this issue.
If that were the case nearly every rule would come under common sense. Unfortunately common sense isn't so common.

[Image: nnvfhg.jpg]
[Image: 2rgyiye.jpg] [Image: n2gznk.jpg] [Image: 2nqsmqp.jpg]
(14-08-2012, 09:26 PM)jak94c Wrote:  
(14-08-2012, 09:22 PM)Dreadofmondays Wrote:  Doesn't it fall under 'Use common sense'? The rules shouldn't have to change just because people don't have common sense. In fact, 'Use common sense' should fix this issue.
If that were the case nearly every rule would come under common sense. Unfortunately common sense isn't so common.
I'm afraid I'm going to need to side with jak here...

The fact is, if there weren't an outright rule against it, people would (and did) do it. Even when the Common Sense rule was in effect.
If we removed the fence circumvention rule and instead implied it under "use common sense", then punished someone for doing it, they would (and did) get pissy and complain.

Just a side note: What's the difference between Tekkit and normal SMP? I am ridiculously confused here and I think I learnt how to furrow my brow.

Don't tell anybody, but I'm back . . . Muahahahahahahahahaha
Tekkit is the same as normal SMP but with more stuff modded into it adding tonnes more End-Game-Content and complexity and most imporantly... FUN!
Essentially it's SMP with a modpack installed.

tl;dr: Read my <expletive> post.

For a noob at Trekkies point of view - hard to get the hang of it and hard to remember the recipes. But in the end it is MMMMMEEEEEGGGGAAAA FFFUUUNN.

That is why I have helpfully placed a link to the Tekkit Wiki (not Trekkie, though I could link that too =P ) in the motd!